Christmas safety tips – Fire prevention
Safety is very important in every season of the year. But Christmas is a special moment, this Holiday is full of colors, lights, gifts, company, and fun. The main goal for Christmas is to enjoy!
Unfortunately, fires are common during Christmas, that is why we want to share with you some safety tips for fire prevention because the best way to celebrate this season is with a great company -family and friends- and free of worries.
Safety tips for fire prevention for this Christmas
Did you know that more than 1/3 of home decoration fires are started by candles? You can prevent fires at home during this Holiday following the next easy tips:
Christmas Tree fire prevention:
- If you have a real tree, be sure to water it every day, because dry needles and wood can burn very hot and very fast.
- Place your tree away from sources of heat, like fireplaces or radiators.
- If you buy an artificial tree, look for the label “Fire Resistant”, because, in case of fire, those ones resist burning and are easy to extinguish.
- Inspect holiday lights before you put them up. Throw away light strands with frayed or pinched wires.
- Check the cords closely and discard any sets that are frayed or damaged.
- Avoid overloading a circuit, use more appliances for plugging lights in.
- Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect.
- Turn off all tree lights and decorations before leaving the house or before going to bed.
- Extinguish all candles if you leave the room or house, or if you are going to bed.
- Never use candles near trees, boughs, decorations or curtains.
- Make sure the candles are placed on stable, fire-resistant surfaces and where children and pets cannot reach or knock them over.
- Keep candles out of the sight and reach of children and pets.
- Never leave the fire unattended.
- Don’t use Christmas trees for firewood.
- Don’t hang Christmas stockings from the mantel when the fireplace is in use.
- Never use gasoline or any other flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Don’t use wrapping paper, boxes, cartons or clothing as fuel, they burn too rapidly and generate far too much heat.
Kitchen fire prevention:
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food.
- Keep children and pets away from the stove and oven.
- Keep all flammable items away such as grocery bags and kitchen towels away from the stove and oven.
The Red Cross recommends for fireworks:
- If you’ll be setting off fireworks at home, choose a location away from buildings and trees.
- Be sure your spectators, including children and pets, stay well back.
- For prevention, keep a supply of water or fire extinguisher at hand.
Additional safety tips:
- Be sure all furnace controls and emergency shut-offs are in proper working condition.
- Check the flue pipe and pipe seams for holes and cracks
- Test your smoke alarms.
- Create and share your home fire evacuation plan with your family.
Fire Restoration Services
In case you suffer fire damage during this Holiday, Restoration Control offers you our Fire Restoration and Odor Removal Services. Our professional team is ready to remediate the damages.
We are here to help you and we guarantee you that everything will be like new. Contact us now and get a FREE inspection.